Monday, October 1, 2018

My Talk Tools

This week I have discovered the phone and tablet app MyTalkTools.  This app was created by a family who had trouble communicating with their son, he was born with Nager Syndrome.  This app allows a person to communicate with others by choosing words and images to piece together to form sentences.  



This tool was developed to people who could not speak clearly due to a severe disability, but this app can be versatile and help another population of students as well, students who are just learning English or ESOL students.  When I first saw this app I immediately thought of the large Spanish speaking student population at my school.  Many students struggle to communicate with their teachers due to the language barrier and they heavily rely on friends to translate.  We also have a student who just moved to the United States 2 months ago whose first languages are French and Arabic, he has no one to translate for him, having an app like MyTalkTool on hand can help these students communicate throughout the school day as they learn to speak English.  

This EdShelf page explains the app in detail along with pricing and different features.  The app can be accessed through an Apple or Android devices.  To learn more about MyTalkTools check out Smart Apps for Kids Top Pick review.

MyTalkTools.  (2018).  http://www.mytalktools.com/dnn/2/Home.aspx

MyTalkTools Mobile.  (2018).  EdShelf.  https://edshelf.com/tool/mytalktools-mobile/

Review: MyTalk Tools AAC offers customized option for those with communication challenges.  (2013).  Smart Apps for Kids.  http://www.smartappsforkids.com/2013/11/review-mytalk-tools-aac.html

4 comments:

  1. Hi Monica,

    I think this is a very interesting app and I am glad you found it. When I first read about it, I thought about a little boy at my church who is three but still unable to talk at all. Even my three year old nephew notices how little the boy talks. Although they do make technology for children who are unable to talk, it is often very expensive. Yet, this is relatively cheap and definitely something that might could help him communicate at least somewhat. My only concern is that the interface might be too complicated for him. However, it did look like the buttons were big and might be able to be used by a younger child too.
    I also love that you mentioned the apps uses for ESOL speakers. I always worry about children and even parents who speak other languages whom I cannot communicate with effectively. Like you mentioned, I usually have to have another student translate. This could definitely serve as another option though.

    Very interesting find,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I've never seen anything like that before! This would be great for ELLs, who are often overlooked as needing technology like this. I cannot even imagine how frustrating it can be for a student who does not speak English to try to communicate in school.The fact that parents of a child with a speaking disability actually created this makes it seem like it has to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Monica,
    What a great idea! I checked the link out and will try it on an IPad at school. I have both English language learners and kids who struggle with speech. I was sad to see that it costs so much for the all the full access content, but the basic version is free on Apple products.
    Thanks for sharing this tool with us,
    Jeri

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the fact that you posted about this as I was vacillating between using this app or using the Proloquo2Go App as my focus for my own post. I like the links you set up for it, and was actually wondering if I shouldn't include an ASL translator app that wouldn't be useful, too. Communication is a big hurdle in libraries, and having "common" technology be able to include apps that can help us understand the needs of our students is tremendously helpful. Thank you for posting about this electronic version of what many special needs teachers often use with their nonverbal students. I was used to the printed mats that nonverbals can use to point to what they want to talk about. This type of app actually gives them a real voice, and it's amazing to watch the reactions of children as they are able to actually voice their own opinions.

    Your post was much appreciated,
    Jessie

    ReplyDelete