Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Document Cameras in the Classroom

When I was in the classroom, I was a huge fan of document cameras.  I student taught for a year in a middle school where each classroom came with an Elmo.  When I got my first teaching job, my school did not provide document cameras to teachers.  After my first year teaching, I bought an inexpensive document camera that hooked up to my laptop and I am still happy with my purchase years later in the library.  I would use this technology to display an article or story we were reading so I could follow along with the class on the board, students could share their finished work with the class, I could go over the answers to an assignment on the board, I could provide examples of assignments and projects on the board, and so on.  


This classroom technology can be fit into the R.A.T. technology enabled learning model created by Dr. Joan Hughes. With or without the document camera my instruction as a teacher would be the same, but with the document camera I am able to replace walking around the room with examples and pointing to textbook pages allowing the focus to be on the board in a magnified view.  Document cameras amplified my instruction by allowing me to switch out what is being explained to the class quickly and I could share examples and student work efficiently without having to scan them to my computer.  Document cameras can transform lessons by allowing students to share their own work and ideas instantly allowing for discussion to happen with their peers.

I have focused on how documents cameras have fit the R.A.T. model in my own experiences, but there are many other ways in which this technology can be used in education.  If anyone is interested in gathering more ideas on how to use a document camera in a classroom or library, here are links to two articles.  


Putting Ed Tech into Practice.  (2011).  % Ways to Use a Document Camera in the Classroom.  http://www.teachhub.com/classroom-document-camera-uses

RAT diagram from ETS.  (2016).  Image retrieved from http://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/inf536reflections/2016/02/11/a-management-approach-to-implementing-new-technologies-and-pedagogies-in-the-classroom/rat-diagram-from-ets/ 

Wistrom, Elizabeth.  (2015).  How to Use Document Cameras in the Classroom.  https://www.brighthubeducation.com/teaching-elementary-school/63423-12-tips-for-using-document-cameras-in-todays-classrooms/

4 comments:

  1. I am not too familiar with document cameras and have only seen them used in a classroom once. When the one that I saw in the classroom was used, it seemed to freeze up at times. Do you know if this a frequent problem with document cameras or is this just an issue because of type or age? Also, I really like your resource that showed tips for using the document cameras in the classroom.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a classroom teacher I used my document camera almost daily. Now, as a librarian my Smartboard has been broken since school started and I have been unable to use my document camera as a result. At least once a day I wish that my document camera was working. I love being able to model information for students and I like the authenticity of them being able to see me model in real time. Additionally, I feel the document camera is more natural than the Smartboard alone. These examples of use fall into the amplification category of the RAT model, but I am interested to explore how I can use the document camera in the library in more innovative ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Document cameras have been around classrooms for so long that I usually take the device for granted. In addition to the ease that document cameras provide teachers when modeling a task, document cameras allow small items to be shared and examined with students. My students and I have put mineral samples, interesting fall leaves, water experiments, and more under the document camera for all to see- no matter where students are placed in the classroom. This device has really changed how easy it is to share delicate items with students when "hands-on" time may not be appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not personally tried a document camera in my classroom. I was thinking that it may be a good tool to use to model writing. I was actually sad when our schools did away with the overhead projectors. They were perfect for modeling writing for all to see. The interactive whiteboards we have now are just not great for teaching writing. Maybe a document camera would be an option.

    ReplyDelete