Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Aurasma & Augmented Reality

I have really enjoyed exploring the tool Aurasma this week!  I have heard of this tool before but I did not understand really what it was.  After this module, I know realize this is called augmented reality or AR.  I have never heard of AR until tonight.  As soon as the example of Pokemon Go (I partook in the craze two summers ago hunting Pokemon around Charleston and DC) I started to understand what augmented reality really is and what Aurasma does.  Augmented reality is when a virtual world or display is layered on top of the real world such as shown in the Pokemon Go example pictured to the right.  

Now using augmented reality in the classroom!  Aurasma is an education friendly tool for teachers and students to use to enhance the learning and understanding of concern concepts.  I also loved the idea Phil Goerner suggested about creating AR reviews and summaries using library book covers.  Marc Brea gives five suggestions on how to use Aurasma AR in the classroom in here.   But before one can dive into creating a bunch of 'auras,' check out this quick  video demonstration where to find the Aurasma tool and how to create an aura.  Aurasma is a free tool accessible through iTunes and the Google Play Store.  For more information on Aurasma and augmented reality, EdTech is here!

If you are still feeling a little confused about augmented reality, check out this clip to see Aurasma in action throughout different classrooms.  After watching this I am super excited to start playing with Aurasma myself!

Alive Studios LLC.  (2016 Apr).  Quick Aurasma Demo for Teachers.  YouTube.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYm3DRHRuzs

Brea, Marc.  (2014 Feb).  5 Ways to Use Aurasma in the Classroom.  Teq.  https://www.teq.com/news/5-ways-use-aurasma-classroom/

Durrett, Billy.  (2016 Sept).  Tibbr Geo:  Augmented Reality That Helps You Collect Intelligence Not Monsters.  TIBC Blog.  https://www.tibco.com/blog/2016/09/07/tibbr-geo-augmented-reality-that-helps-you-collect-intelligence-not-monsters/

Goerner, Phil.  (2016 Sept).  Augmented Reality.  What's Next?  School Library Journal p. 19-20.

Holland, Beth.  (2018).  How to Start Using Augmented Reality in Education.  EdTech Teacher.  https://edtechteacher.org/how-to-start-using-augmented-reality-in-the-classroom-from-beth-holland-on-edudemic/

NteacherN.  (2014 Apr).  Aurasma in Action.  YouTube.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pouZhLhm5p8



2 comments:

  1. I have a little experience with Aurasma as an AR tool. It is really neat! Personally, I have never created auras, but I have viewed pre-made ones. Guinness World Records had some auras in their 2014 edition (I'm pretty sure it was that edition). I remember letting my students use Aurasma to view the worlds tallest man and smallest woman. There' also others that work with a $1 and $20 bill.

    Side note, if you liked Pokemon Go, try Jurassic World Alive. It's similar except you are catching dinosaurs. My 3 year old LOVES it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the information on the Aurasma tool that we read about this week, and am looking forward to trying to incorporate such a tool in our school's living museum project. As far as the AR tool of Pokemon Go, what's hilarious is that this particular application really does help people connect and explore. This particular app helped my Mother while she was going through her chemo, and helped her meet other people in similar circumstances. I am grateful that they keep tweaking the software so that the Poke' stops are in less scary areas. Thank you for the video links! They were very helpful.

    ReplyDelete